Friday 10 August 2012

Day with the Kids

I’m sorry that I didn’t get my post from yesterday up until today. I typed it up yesterday but the internet wasn’t working so I couldn’t post it.
This morning we went to a school for needy children (not an orphanage like I thought). It was really terrible conditions still but the children were so dang cute!!It was a lot of fun. We gave out toothbrushes and toothpaste and then showed them how to brush their teeth. Some of the children told us that they did brush their teeth, but the lady in charge told us that they just were trying to brush with sticks. It was so sad to here that, and to see one teething little boy chewing on a rusty nail. We also demonstrated good hand washing and gave them a bunch of little packets of soap. Right away when we got there, all the children sang cute little songs for us. One of them was even in English! Don’t worry, I got a video of that. They latched on to us right away and always wanted to be holding our hands or hanging on us. A couple of the little ones let us hold them and carry them around for awhile. They were just so happy to have someone play with them and they kept smiling at us the whole time. Some of the parents were there too and they were happy to see us. They all wanted us to take pictures with their kids on our cameras. It was funny. During one group picture, a little baby behind me grabbed my hair and pulled and everyone thought that was pretty entertaining. We also gave them all suckers with whistles. They loved those so much. It was mass chaos for awhile with all of them blowing their whistles at once. They were really sad when we had to leave and said bye and waved after us for a long time. I wanted to take so many of them home with me!
Some of the kids at the school that we went to. So adorable!

It was really nice to have a break from the hospital, especially since it was such a fun break and for a good cause. We hung around the compound for the afternoon, and I took a much needed nap. We decided that we are going to go out tonight because its Mia’s last weekend here, which is sad. It’s been really nice to have her here to help us learn the ropes and everything. She’s also really nice and we’ll miss her. Have a good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment